When you take medications, it can often feel like “one size fits all”.
You fill a prescription or receive a drug sample, start taking the drug, and then return regularly to your doctor for follow - up visits to determine if the medication works for you.
How would you feel about truly personalized medicine – prescriptions tailored specifically for you, the patient? The right drug at the right dose for the right patient. It seems like "science fiction", but it's available now.
What is Personalized Medicine?
Personalized medicine is a rapidly developing healthcare science that takes into account each person’s unique genetic profile when determining treatment options for a variety of conditions. It provides patients and providers with additional information that helps them determine the optimal drug or dosage of a variety of pharmaceuticals.
Why should patients have their DNA tested?
Each individual is unique. Testing for genetic variations can help us make better decisions regarding drug choice and dose to ensure our patients are receiving the maximum benefit and minimal adverse effects of a prescribed drug.
The right drug at the right dose for the right patient.
Pharmacogenomics is the key to personalized medicine, using DNA testing to learn what impact the patient’s individual genetic profile will have on the effectiveness of a variety of drugs. Pharmacogenomic testing can provide personalized drug response information on approximately 90% of all currently prescribed drugs including the following:
• SSRIs like Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro and Paxil
How it works:
. A healthcare provider orders DNA drug response testing kit.
• At the office, the healthcare professional uses the Test Kit to collect the DNA using an oral swab
• Using the same Test Kit, the patients billing information (insurance, self-pay, or a combination of the two) and the sample are sent to the lab using the pre-paid mailer included in every kit
• Results are delivered to the health-care provider within 3 to 5 business days
• Medication management can then be tailored to give you, the patient, truly personalized medicine.
At least 3 different companies provide this service in our area and we simply perform the test in the office.
Ask the doctor about DNA/Molecular testing for your medicines today.